Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Book Reviews: My Own Worst Enemy and The Messenger


My Own Worst Enemy: How to Stop Holding Yourself BackMy Own Worst Enemy: How to Stop Holding Yourself Back by Janet Davis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm really liking this book, My Own Worse Enemy.  Now to be honest, I don't really feel like this subject is something I struggle with. That said, I really enjoyed the book, the author's style of writing, and her perspective on the stories of women in the bible.  She intersperses her own journey with stories of other women she has worked with and stories of women in the bible within each chapter. That was my favorite part of the book,  reading her comments on each Biblical woman and her story. She brings out cultural bits that I'd never known or thought about.  Even if you don't struggle with holding yourself back, I would recommend it as a Bible study.

I recieved a copy of this book from the publisher for review.



View all my reviews

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


 This book was historical fiction set when the English were trying to keep control of the rebelling colonies in America. I enjoyed the book and would recommmend it as an easy fun read.  The main character Hannah is a Quaker, though she struggles with some of the beliefs and decisions. Her twin brother, who joined the rebels, is captured and the family refuses to visit or help him as that is the position taken by the Quaker church. She is unable to abide by this decision and with the help of another colonist, Jeremiah, gains access to visit him in exchange for carrying messages to the prisoners in hopes of helping them escape.  It was enjoyable and I appreciate reading books that help bring history alive as this one does.  While not overtly Christian, Hannah does struggle with her Quaker faith, and though Jeremiah doesn't profess Christianity, he shares some thoughts with her that show his spirituality.  There is no over-used romance in the story either, which I appreciated as well, as i don't really enjoy romance books. A fast worthwhile read.

I recieved a copy of this book from the publisher for my honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment