Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Book Reviews!

Gabby, God's Little Angel by Sheila Walsh is one of several books I recieved recently for review. It is a cute story for children about a little angel always having her own little accidents who is assigned to be the guardian angel for a little girl with similar tendencies! Its such a cute way for kids to learn about angels and how much God loves us.  My almost-three-year-old enjoyed it and I think older children would too, as some pages had more text on them than most storybooks.  I'm sure we'll be reading it multiple times! The illustrations are adorable and help younger readers understand new vocab and what's happening (i.e. harp). I liked that it included a bit of scripture too. Great little book, would highly recommend for young readers!

I recieved a copy of this book for review from the publisher.

Another book I recently finished is Waiting for Dawn by Susan May Warren. Waiting for DawnWaiting for Dawn by Susan May Warren

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I have to say I was a little disappointed in this book. First of all, I was expecting a book, not a short story or novella- it was only about 40 pages, and has no conclusion whatsoever with regards to the relationships with the characters as it is a prequel to a series.  I don't think that this would really make me interested in reading the series as there really wasn't much depth to the story at all.  Jim Micah is taken prisoner with his fellow soldiers and their spyplane though I which should be exciting but was actually kind of blah... the entire time he pines over good friend Lacey who began dating his best friend when he introduced them, and moans about how he should have told her he loves her etc.  Meanwhile she is doing the same for him and launches a rescue mission (expressly forbid by the military superior) with her boyfriend. On top of that, she and boyfriend fall back into each others arms despite the fact that he did not communicate with her more than 3 times (I think it was) in an entire year.  Why would she not have dumped him early and why oh why would she believe him and fall for him AGAIN?  ugh.  Perhaps worth it if you have read others in the series and enjoyed them, or know you'll read the entire series (or at least the first full book) though it didn't make me anxious to do so as it seemed very unrealistic.

I recieved a copy of this book from the publisher for review.

I also recieved Thank You God for Blessing Me by Max Lucado. This is a sweet little story, perfectly appropriate for any child who can sit and follow through a book!  Through the prayer of Little Hermie, it presents a model to teach children how to pray being thankful for what God has given us! I like that it focuses on God's blessings for us: food, shelter, friends and family etc (as opposed to asking for things we want or need).  It is simple and the illustrations are sweet. A perfect before bed book to help bring your child's thoughts to Christ and His many blessings for us!

I recieved a copy of this book from the publisher through Booksneeze.
Finally, I recieved The Life Application Study Bible Devotional. This volume focuses on the life of Jesus with six devotionals for each week around a theme, such as the birth of Christ, His growing up, etc.  I have been using it daily, so I obviously haven't been through the entire thing, but so far, I really am enjoying it.  I like that the focus throughout the week stays the same and the authors add great bits of information in their devotional piece.  The scripture references are short and included in the book, along with the devotional, a focus for prayer, and some questions and thoughts for reflection.  It's easy to pick up and read at some point in the day as you don't need a huge chunk of time to complete the reading so I think it is a keeper, both for someone who's gotten out of the habit of daily devotions, or as a supplement for one who reads and studies daily (or anyone in between!).  I'm excited to see what other new wisdom I can take from the life of Christ through the author's reflections as well as my own!

I recieved a copy of this book from Tyndale House Publishers for review.

1 comment:

  1. Gabby, God's Little Angel is a cute little story about an angel named Gabby watching over Sophie while she is riding a horse. The illustrations are adorable, telling the story within themselves. I love the idea of teaching children how God sends his angels to watch over, because I truly believe He does. I do have some mixed feelings on some of the things in the book, and I would definitely change a few things to this story to make sure my niece understands some of the things differently. I just don't want her having an incorrect view of angels, thinking that this cute little angel will always be flying around over her to protect her the rest of her life. That will make life's problems and difficult situations hard to explain. Sorry, not trying to be picky, just honest.

    ReplyDelete