Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Yummy Cheesy Texas Bake and my fave Cornbread recipe

I just tried this recipe the other night from Camille's CasaCheesy Texas Bake. Yummy!  I loved it!  Cheesy, a bit spicy, mmm. Thought, to be honest, my hubby was not so thrilled.  He thought there was too much cornbread and not enough other stuff!  So perhaps next time (after I've used up the freezer meal!) I'll try doubling the inside ingredients.


Click here for the recipe and instructions complete with photos! 

As I hinted above, this is another great recipe where you can make one and freeze one for later!  I love having already made up things in the freezer!  All I have to do is remember to pull it out to thaw and Bake!

I did change a few things: I threw in a can of corn instead of the 1 cup frozen, and made my own cornbread recipe for the top. 
 This is the one I love, Elizabeth Yoder's Corn Bread from the Tasteful Treasures Cookbook (Allensville Bicentennial).

1 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup soft margarine
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
Sift flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir in margarine, egg and milk til flour is moistened. Then beat 2 minutes with an electric mixer. Pour into a greased 8 or 9 inch square pan. bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Yields: 9-12 servings

A few notes:  I never sift; I rarely feel like getting out my electric mixer, so i just mix it good by hand for 30 seconds or so - and it still turns out great, everytime! 

I made 2 batches of this, one for each dish of the Cheesy Texas Bake.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment